Questions about this course? Write to the instructor, firstname.lastname@example.org
This course gives a broad introduction to Latvian culture and history. Folklore, literature, music and film will be studied in its historical context, exploring the relation between people and culture in Latvia. We will pay special attention to works that Latvians have identified as the “Latvian Cultural Canon” – key texts for understanding Latvian identity and worldview.
- Encounter Latvian folklore, art, music, literature, film, architecture and landscapes-- explore a "treasure trove" of Latvian culture!
- Develop skills to interpret, critique and perform literature and art
- Selected works of literature, music and film, as posted on class website
- 25% participation in class discussions
- 25% three reports (1 page, 3-5 minutes) about Latvian culture
- 25% quizzes on assigned readings
- 25% four take-home essay exams