Kurssikuvaus / Course description
FINN 201 is designed for the student who has completed FINN 103 or its’ equivalents. It provides a comprehensive study of Finnish. The aim of the course is to provide intensive practice in all areas of language learning. You will improve your speaking and writing skills as well as reading and listening. The course will be conducted mostly in Finnish.
During the course we will review some of the grammar and themes from the 100-courses as well as broaden and deepen your vocabulary and command of grammar. You will learn to make polite questions, talk about your past and about your future plans. We will talk about popular music, free time and hobbies, and ways to celebrate the holidays in Finland. We’ll also take a look at spoken Finnish, which will improve your ability to function in different everyday contexts.
Special attention will be paid to learning vocabulary, listening comprehension and speaking in Finnish and the class will provide students the opportunity to practice new vocabulary and grammatical structures through in-class discussion of assigned activities and readings. Newspaper articles, films, and the Internet will be used. To succeed in this course, you must actively participate and you will be expected to attend class regularly, prepare for class daily, and speak as much Finnish as possible.
Sisältö / General Contents
- Traveling, clothing, leisure time
- Sickness and health, body parts, going to the doctor
- Finnish nature and animals, sauna, summer house
- Grammar and new structures:
- Past tense (imperfekti)
- Transitive and intransitive verbs
- Verb + 3. infinitive (maan/massa/masta)
- New word types
- täytyy structure
- relative pronoun joka
Tavoitteet / Objectives
In addition to expanding on structures and grammatical points studied previously, this course will:
- engage students in language-production activities to enhance oral communication skills
- allow students to express their own ideas, opinions, and emotions in Finnish
- expand the students’ knowledge of the Finnish culture by providing authentic texts and videos
- enhance students’ active and passive vocabulary
Through the communicative approach I hope to achieve a high degree of interaction in the classroom and make your learning of Finnish language and culture enjoyable. We strive for a learning atmosphere that challenges your skills in a supportive way. There are no wrong answers, only good attempts. Emphasis will be given to all language skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing.