Instructor: Guntis Šmidchens <email@example.com>
Office: Raitt Hall 305-T
This course aims to build basic oral and written skills in the Latvian language. The first quarter will focus on understanding basic vocabulary (about 500 most commonly used words) and grammar.
Assignments: One or two worksheets will be assigned daily; in-class quizzes and tests will usually be on Mondays, and take-home essays will be assigned over the weekend.
Grades will be based on daily homework assignments (20%), weekly quizzes (20%), four chapter tests (40%) and Final Examination (20%)
TEXTBOOKS AND OTHER LEARNING MATERIALS
- Lelis, Jāzeps (1982). Basic Latvian I. [chapters have been updated and edited in interactive web format on this website; here also is a pdf of the original book]
- Here is the textbook's dictionary/glossary in an Excel spreadsheet.
- Auziņa, Ilze; Berķe, Maija; Lazareva, Anta; Šalme, Arvils (2014). Laipa A1. Rīga: LVA.
- Tilde Translator https://www.tilde.lv/
- Microsoft Translator (in partnership with the Latvian company, Tilde): https://www.bing.com/translator?ref=TThis&&text=&from=lv&to=en
- Install a Latvian keyboard on your computer (if you need help, please ask).
Supplemental On-line learning materials:
- www.letonika.lv on-line dictionary in various language combinations
- http://www.sazinastilts.lv/language-learning/vocabulary/ – on-line list of words, phrases and terms
- http://tezaurs.lv/ on-line dictionary in Latvian
Supplemental materials for grammar training:
- http://maciunmacies.valoda.lv/valodas-apguve/gramatika#tab2 (Links to an external site.) – apps “Latvian Nouns” and “Latvian Verbs”
- http://maciunmacies.valoda.lv/images/Macies/LV%20PLAKATI%20links.pdf – grammar tables with images