NORW 201A – Fall 2018
Office hours: TBA
Required course materials:
- Ellingsen, Elisabeth & Kirsti MacDonald (2014) Stein på stein: Norsk med samfunnskunnskap for voksne innvandrere. Lærebok.
- Stein på stein: Norsk med samfunnskunnskap for voksne innvandrere. Arbeidsbok.
- Online exercises from https://steinpastein-oppgaver.cappelendamm.no/
- Bokmålsordboka http://ordbok.uib.no/
- Trilingual English-Norwegian-Spanish dictionary http://www.tritrans.net/indexno.html
- Haugen, Einar (1965) Norwegian–English Dictionary
- Ultralingua dictionaries http://www.ultralingua.com/onlinedictionary/dictionary
- Subscription-based dictionaries https://www.ordnett.no/
- Grammar overview http://grammatikk.com/
- Grammar overview http://www3.hf.uio.no/iln/studier/evu/norskkurs/medvoice/grammatikk.htm
- Popular podcasts in Norway http://podtail.com/podcasts/no/top/
- Popular blogs in Norway http://blogglisten.no/
At the end of the three-quarter sequence, students should be able to read and understand short and simple Norwegian texts in Bokmål; understand clearly articulated native speakers on a variety of non-specialist topics; express personal opinions and discuss a variety of topics in intermediate-level Norwegian, and write clear and thoughtful essays in Bokmål.
Communication, grading, and assignments will be done/submitted on Canvas. Any materials and resources will be posted there as well.
- Participation 15%: Participation in discussions and group-work is essential to your success in this course. You must come to class on time and prepared.
- Essay 15%: You will write and revise one essay during the quarter. (1,5-2 pages)
- Presentations 15%: 5-10 minute oral presentation on a given topic with visual aids.
- Tests 25 %: Tests will be completed after each chapter or in order to review the material.
- Homework 15%: There are materials to be prepared for each class, usually readings from the textbook and exercises from the exercise book.
- Different assignments or group work 15%: short reviews, reports, presentations, etc.