Essays in honor of Birgitta Steene
Edited by Ann-Charlotte Gavel Adams and Terje I. Leiren, Stage and Screen presents a collection of essays by many of the leading scholars of Scandinavian drama and film who are writing today. This is an exciting study presenting the latest research on Scandinavian film and drama.
Published in honor of Dr. Birgitta Steene, a leading scholar of film and drama and former Chair of the University of Washington Department of Scandinavian Studies. Stage and Screen contains important contemporary essays on Scandinavian film and drama. In addition, A. Gerald Anderson has compiled an exhaustive bibliography of Dr. Steene's publications between 1959 and 2000. An important book for the student of Scandinavian culture and the serious film scholar.
Terje Leiren, "Birgitta Steene: Teacher and Scholar"
Essays on Drama
- Inga-Stina Ewbank, "'Where do I find my homeland?'" Ibsen, Strindberg, and Exile."
- Harry Carlson, "Ibsen's Mythic Ornithology: Poetic Images as Clues to Character."
- Ann-Charlotte Gavel Adams, "Delacroix's murals in Eglise Saint-Sulpice and Strindberg's Jacob wrestles and To Damascus I."
- Anne-Charlotte Hanes Harvey, "The Theatrical Compulsion of Strindberg's Charles XII."
- Otto Reinert, "Meaning Compounded: Strindberg's Charles XII and the Question of Genre."
- Matthew Roy, "History Revisited and Rewritten: August Strindberg, Magnus Smek, and Heliga Birgitta."
Essays on Film
- Astrid Söderbergh Widding, "Deep Staging and Light: Notes on Hasselblads and Georg af Klercker."
- Mark Sandberg, "Maternal Gesture and Photography in Victor Sjöström"s Ingeborg Holm."
- Tytti Soila, "Desire Disavowed in Victor Sjöström's The Phantom Carriage."
- Rochelle Wright, "Realism Refined and Retouched: Alf Sjöberg's Bara en mor."
- Marilyn Johns Blackwell, "Cross-Dressing and Subjectivity in the Films of Ingmar Bergman."
- Maaret Koskinen, "Ingmar Bergman and the Mise en Scene of the Confessional."
- Egil Törnqvist, "'This is my hand.' Hand Gestures in the Films of Ingmar Bergman."
A. Gerald Anderson, "Professor Birgitta Steene: Bibliography, 1959-2000."
Stage and Screen can be purchased through the Department of Scandinavian Studies, University of Washington for $25.00 per copy ($19.95 plus handling and shipping. Washington State residents please add Washington state sales tax).
Inquiries by email (firstname.lastname@example.org )
or by phone (+206)543-0645 or fax (+206)685-9173.