The Department of Scandinavian Studies at the University of Washington offers both an undergraduate major and a minor in Finnish, as well as opportunities for students to continue their study of Finnish language, literature, culture, and society on the graduate level while working toward the M.A. and the Ph.D. in Scandinavian Studies. A broad array of courses are offered, including a four-year program in language and literature, as well as a survey of Finnish literary and cultural history and specialized courses on such topics as the Kalevala. Students majoring in Scandinavian Area Studies may select Finnish as their language of emphasis.
All content tagged with this term:
- Nordic Cultural Festival at the Kennedy Center is in the news!
- Andrew Nestingen Presents on Aki Kaurismäki and the Finnish Tango
- Bachelor of Arts in Finnish Approved
- Finland Hot at the University of Washington
- Finnish Major Featured in Arts & Sciences Newsletter
- Former Student Translates Finnish Novel
- Helen S. Blair Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Pasi Sahlberg Lecture available on KUOW.ORG's Speakers Forum
- Profile of Andy Nestingen
- Recent Nordic Literature in the News
- Tetri Challenge a Great Success
- To Really Understand Hevibändi, It Helps to Know the Language (Wall Steet Journal)
- Why Study Finnish? A Hot Language
|Swedish Finnish Historical Society Annual Luncheon||Mar 9||11:00am||Swedish Cultural Center|
"Jean Sibelius and Finland's Awakening"
|Mar 4||3:30pm||Raitt Hall Room 314|
|Nordic Cool 2013 (February 19th - March 17th) at the Kennedy Center, Washington DC.||Mar 2 to Mar 4||(All day)||The Kennedy Center|
|Bad Art Makes Good - Adventures in Thinking and Making||Feb 7||6:00pm to 9:00pm||Nordic Heritage Musuem|
Finnish Lessons: What can the United States learn from Educational Change in Finland?
|Nov 14||7:00pm to 8:00pm||Kane Hall, Room 210|
|Vikings Invade Ballard!||Aug 18||9:00am||Nordic Heritage Museum (in Ballard)|
|Translator Lola Rogers to speak on Sofi Oksanen's novel Purge||Mar 5||12:30pm|
|Jussi Ojajärvi Lecture in Raitt Hall, Room 314||Oct 18||3:30pm|
|Guest Speaker Sanna Karkulehto||Dec 1||2:30pm|
|Laura Stark||Feb 18||3:30pm|
|Jyrki Nummi||May 4||7:40pm|