Andrew Nestingen’s research is organized around the question: How does textual form figure in the way people construct, imagine, and regulate their social worlds?
His most recent book is The Cinema of Aki Kaurismäki: Contrarian Stories (2013), published in the Wallflower imprint of Columbia University Press. His Scandinavian Crime Fiction, co-edited with Paula Arvas, was published by the University of Wales Press in 2011. Other books of his include Crime and Fantasy in Scandinavia: Fiction, Film, and Social Change (2008) published by the University of Washington Press in the New Directions in Scandinavian Studies series, and Transnational Cinema in a Global North: Nordic Cinema in Transition (2005), co-edited with Trevor Elkington. He has written articles on Aki Kaurismäki, Stieg Larsson, Leena Lehtolainen, Henning Mankell, Finnish cinema, Nordic cinema, and film authorship, among other topics. He is associate editor of the Journal of Scandinavian Cinema and review editor of Scandinavian Studies.
- Nestingen, Andrew. "Nordic Noir: The Human Criminal," in Homer B. Pettey and Barton Palmer (eds.), International Noir, Edinburgh: University of Edinburgh Press, 2014.
- Andrew Nestingen. The Cinema of Aki Kaurismäki: Contrarian Stories. New York: Columbia Univ. Press, 2013. Pp. viii + 174.
- Andrew K. Nestingen, Paula Arvas, eds. Scandinavian Crime Fiction. Cardiff: University of Wales Press, 2011. 200 pp.
- Andrew K. Nestingen. Crime and Fantasy in Scandinavia: Fiction, Film and Social Change. Seattle: University of Washington, 2008.
- Andrew K. Nestingen, Trevor G. Elkington, eds. Transnational Cinema in a Global North: Nordic Cinema in Transition. Wayne State University Press: 2005.
- Andrew K. Nestingen. "Timely Subjects: Leena Krohn Between Universal and Particular." Scandinavian Women's Writing: Contemporary Critical Approaches (guest ed. Ellen Rees, spec. issue of Scandinavian Studies) 76.3 (2004): 75-98.
- Andrew K. Nestingen. "Reimagining the Road Movie: Det nya landet (2000), Ariel (1988), and the Transnational Road Movie." Globalisering: Spøkelse eller visjon? (Eds. Kjersti Faldet Listhaug and Sissel Lie). Trondheim: NTNU, 2003. 51-64.
- Andrew K. Nestingen. "Nostalgias and Their Publics: The Finnish Film Boom, 1999-2001." Scandinavian Studies 75.4 (2003): 539-566.
- Andrew K. Nestingen. "Leaving Home: Global Circulation and Kaurismäki’s Ariel." Journal of Finnish Studies 6/1-2 (2002): 5-26.
- Andrew K. Nestingen. The Cinema of Aki Kaurismäki: Contrarian Stories. New York: Wallflower (Columbia University Press), 2013.
- Andrew K. Nestingen. Violence and Crime Fiction. In progress.
Research Advised: Graduate Dissertations
- Ruhl, Anna. "Selvgeografi: Placing the Works of Karl Ove Kausgard and Tomas Espedel." Diss., U of Washington, 2016.
- Maren Anderson Johnson. "Post-national Genius: Hans Christian Andersen and Henrik Ibsen." Diss., in progress.
- Dancus, Adriana Margareta. "Screening the Norwegian Heart: The Cultural Politics and Aesthetics of the Emotions in Norwegian Cinema, 2000-2008." PhD Dissertation. University of Washington, 2009.
- Evan Wright. "Ploughshares to Processors: an ecological critique of technology in Post-War Finnish and American fiction."
Research Advised: Graduate Masters Theses
- Wright, Evan P. "Symbolic Ecologies and Intertexual Conservation: An ecocritical analysis of inter-symbolic relationships in Finno-Karelian oral and literary traditions." MA Thesis. University of Washington, 2011.
- Anderson, Maren. "Questioning the genius: Postmodern literary interpretations of Norwegian national literary geniuses Henrik Ibsen and Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson" MA Thesis. University of Washington, 2011.
Summer 2013 A-term
Summer 2012 B-term
- Letter from the Chair - October 17, 2018
- Alumni Story Project Led by Dr. Kimberly Earles - October 15, 2018
- What are you excited about doing in 2017-2018? Faculty Activities - October 27, 2017
- Department Professor and Chair Andrew Nestingen defends funding for the humanities in Seattle Times op-ed - March 29, 2017
- Lobbying for the Humanities and Foreign Language on Capitol Hill - March 20, 2017
- Nordic Leaders Meet with President Obama - May 14, 2016
- Karin Eriksson Receives Antoinette Wills Endowed Scholarship, 2016-17 - May 9, 2016
- Liina-Ly Roos Awarded Chester William Fritz Scholarship for 2016-17 - May 9, 2016
- Jarkko Sipilä on Finland's Seamy Underside - March 23, 2016
- Evan Wright Defends Dissertation on Comparative Ecocritical Approaches to Finnish and American Literature - March 22, 2016
- Wade Hollingshaus on Erkki Kurrenniemi at age One Hundred Seven - March 21, 2016
- Finnish Crime Writer Jarkko Sipilä in Seattle, March 10, 2016 - February 9, 2016
- Norwegian Fulbrighter Julianne Yang at Scand Studies in Winter 2016 - January 13, 2016
- Eero Tetrin muistolle - In Memory of Eero Tetri - January 11, 2016
- Anna Rühl Defends PhD Dissertation on Novels of Knausgård and Espedal - December 30, 2015
- Göran Rosenberg on A Brief Stop on the Road from Auschwitz - November 13, 2015
- Trgyve Ugland on Migration and Europe - October 30, 2015
- Finnish Program 25th Anniversary Celebration - October 27, 2015
- Professor Andrew Nestingen Appointed Department Chair Effective July 1, 2015 - April 30, 2015
- Call for Proposals: First Year Finnish Marketing Plan - February 17, 2015
- Scandinavian Studies Announcements - September 24, 2014
- Faculty Spotlight - September 13, 2014
- The Secret to Finland's Success With Schools, Moms, Kids—and Everything - July 17, 2013
- Professor Andrew Nestingen's book on Aki Kaurismäki published - June 24, 2013
- Recent Nordic Literature in the News - March 13, 2013
- Nordic Cultural Festival at the Kennedy Center is in the news! - February 20, 2013
- Finland Hot at the University of Washington - December 3, 2012
- Pasi Sahlberg Lecture available on KUOW.ORG's Speakers Forum - November 15, 2012
- Scandinavian Crime Fiction - Published and Available - February 11, 2011
- Profile of Andy Nestingen - April 26, 2009
- Ingebritsen & Nestingen on Finnish Nobel Winner - December 16, 2008
- Three New Books from New Directions in Scandinavian Studies in 2008 - October 15, 2007