Vil du gerne lære dansk? Danish is a modern Scandinavian language closely related to Norwegian and Swedish. Learning to read Danish is easy for English speakers – there are many cognates with English, German, and even French. Denmark is the gateway to Scandinavia and the North Atlantic, and Danish is officially the second language in Greenland, the Faroe Islands and Iceland.
We offer three levels of instruction in Danish at UW (beginning, intermediate and advanced). Each autumn quarter a new sequence of Danish starts with DAN 101. If you already speak some Danish, you may test into a higher level for Credit by Examination. As a UW student, you are encouraged to study in Denmark via UW Study Abroad and are eligible for a UW ScanDesign Fellowship and other scholarships, including the Gytel Scholarship and the Metzon and Nielsen Scholarships for Danish Studies.
The Department of Scandinavian has an undergraduate major and minor in Danish. The Danish major offers a current European perspective on culture, gender, politics and society, as well as cinema, folklore, history and literature. The UW faculty in Danish consists of a full professor as well as a Visiting Lecturer in Danish.
With admission to our Graduate Program, qualified students holding a BA may pursue the MA or PhD degree in Scandinavian Studies with an emphasis in Danish.
Are you interested in language resources and programs in Danish in the US and Canada? Please visit DANA (Danish Academic Network in America).
Contact Professor Marianne T. Stecher, for further information about Danish by calling 206-543-6084 or email@example.com
All content tagged with this term:
- "Four Mariannes" Celebrated Together at the Annual BOGFORUM (Book Fair) in Copenhagen Nov. 8th
- Congratulations to Kevin Jenson!
- DANA (Danish Academic Network in America) Launches its New Website and Membership Drive.
- Danish Ambassador Peter Taksøe-Jensen Visits Seattle's Danish Community
- Danish Language Course
- Danish major Sean Hughes wins Goldwater Scholarship
- Danish Modern Design Comes to the Nordic Heritage Museum in May
- Danish Modern: Between Art and Design by Mark Mussari (PhD, UW Scandinavian Studies, 1999)
- Danish Press Praise Mark Mussari's Translation
- Faculty and Grad Students Contribute to New Book on Hans Christian Andersen
- Fall 2009 Scan|Design Fellows
- Gytel Scholarships for Study in Denmark-Deadline May 1st
- Lecture by Lasse Horne Kjældgaard
- Marianne Stecher Explores the Essays of Karen Blixen in New Book
- Marianne Stecher invited Keynote Speaker for AASSC at Congress 2015 for the Humanities and Social Sciences at the University of Ottawa, June 2nd.
- New book on Karen Blixen
- New Danish Cultural Frontrunners Newsletter
- New Mayor of Lynnwood is Danish Alumnus
- New Ph.D. in Scandinavian Studies, Kirstine Kastbjerg
- Ph.D. Candidate Melissa Lucas Defends Dissertation
- POLITIKEN awards a five-heart review to book on Blixen by UW Professor of Scandinavian Studies
- President’s Medalist Mitchell Krawczyk studies Danish, Drama, and Neuroscience
- Queen Margrethe II of Denmark's Birthday Celebration at the Nothwest Danish Association's Harmony Hall
- Recent Nordic Literature in the News
- Scandinavian Studies at the UW Study Abroad Fair
- Scan|Design Foundation Presents Generous Gift to Department
- Stecher-Hansen Appointed Scan|Design Professor
- The Association for Advancement of Scandinavian Studies in Canada Announces its Annual CALL FOR PAPERS
- UW Grad Advises Danish Government
- UW Gudrun Gytel Scholarship recipient Chris Nelson to start graduate studies in Denmark this fall!
- UW Students and Faculty Celebrate 74th Birthday of H.M. Queen Margrethe II with Danish Community
- Nordic Cultural Festival at the Kennedy Center is in the news!