You are here
As part of its Baltic Studies program, the Department of Scandinavian Studies at the University of Washington offers two years of classroom instruction in Latvian as well as an opportunity for continued independent study of the language. A broad array of courses related to Latvia and the Baltic are also offered including a survey of Latvian literary and cultural history. Students majoring in Scandinavian Area Studies may select Latvian as their language of emphasis, and Latvian may also be a focus of those who do graduate work leading to the M.A. and Ph.D. in Scandinavian Studies.
- Latvian Translation Competion- "Found in Translation-Rainis and Aspazija" (May 21, 2015)
- 2014 Baltic Studies St. Martin's Fundraiser (December 2, 2014)
- Professor Smidchens Honored by Latvian Government (April 30, 2014)
- NATO Specialist Discusses Military Preparedness in the Baltic (April 25, 2014)
- Guntis Šmidchens Interview in The Daily (January 22, 2014)