Jan Sjåvik combines the study of critical theory with that of Scandinavian and especially Norwegian literature. He has been particularly interested in such theorists as Stanley Fish, Richard Rorty and Donald Davidson, and has written about the Norwegian authors Arne Garborg, Knut Hamsun, Ole E. Rølvaag, and others. His book Reading for the Truth, a study of works by Hamsun, Garborg, Rølvaag, and others, was published in 2004. His most recent book is Historical Dictionary of Norway (Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press, 2008).
- An Introduction to Norwegian Literary and Cultural History
- The Plays of Henrik Ibsen
- Masterpieces of Scandinavian Literature
- Literary Theory
- The Norwegian Short Story
- Knut Hamsun
- Terje Leiren and Jan Sjåvik, Historical Dictionary of Norway. Second Edition. Lanham, MD: Roman & Littlefield Publishers, 2019.
- Jan Sjåvik. Historical Dictionary of Scandinavian Literature and Theater. Lanham, Md: Scarecrow Press, 2006.
- Jan Sjåvik. Reading for the Truth: Rhetorical Constructions in Norwegian Fiction. Christchurch, New Zealand: Cybereditions, 2004.
- Jan Sjåvik. "Reading Arne Garborg's Irony: Bondestudentar, Trætte mænd, Fred." Scandinavian Studies 27 (2000).
- Jan Sjåvik. "Between Two Worlds: The Emigrant Novels of Ole E. Rølvaag." Places Within, Places Beyond: Norwegian Regionalism in Literature (ed. by Wendy Griswold and Fredrik Engelstad). Oslo: Institute for Social Research, 1996. 77-91.
- Jan Sjåvik. "Rhetorical Manipulation in Maurits Hansen’s ‘Luren’." Scandinavian Studies 66 (1994): 521-32.
Research Advised: Graduate Dissertations
- Osterberg, Renessa. "Literary Anxiety in Contemporary Norwegian Metafiction: Hanne Ørstavik, Lars Saabye Christenen, and Dag Solstad." PhD Dissertation. University of Washington, 2012.
- Korynta, Kyle. "Jon Fosse in the Light and Shadow of Ibsen: Writing Styles, Affect, and Reception." PhD Dissertation. University of Washington, 2012.
Summer 2014 A-term
- Anna Rühl Awarded Aurora Borealis Prize, 2016 - May 9, 2016
- Anna Rühl Defends PhD Dissertation on Novels of Knausgård and Espedal - December 30, 2015
- Professor Jan Sjåvik Retires - December 4, 2014
- Message from the Chair - September 24, 2014
- Faculty Spotlight - September 13, 2014
- Jan Sjåvik Appointed Department Chair - July 1, 2010 - May 10, 2010