Christine Ingebritsen is a political scientist who teaches and conducts research on the position of small states in international relations. Her work seeks to explain how and why Scandinavian governments (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Iceland) have responded differently to contemporary challenges — from a more globalized international political economy to an integrated Europe. Collectively, Scandinavia seeks to export best practices to international institutions and acts as a "norm entrepreneur" in several important issue-areas (the environment, human rights and security).
Dr. Ingebritsen is also Adjunct Professor of Women's Studies and Adjunct Professor of Political Science.
- Scandinavia, the EU and Global Climate
- Scandinavia in World Affairs
- Environmental Norms in International Politics
- Modern Scandinavian Politics
- Women in Scandinavia
See Christine in a recent video highlighting the MAAIS (Master of Arts in Applied International Studies) Program in the Jackson School of International Studies.
- Christine Ingebristen. The Scandinavian Way and Its Legacy in Europe. Sentia Publishing: 2013
- Christine Ingebritsen, Iver Neumann, Sieglinde Gstohl, and Jessica Beyer, eds. Small States in International Relations. University of Washington and University of Iceland: 2006.
- Christine Ingebritsen. Scandinavia in World Politics. Rowman and Littlefield: 2006.
- Christine Ingebritsen. "Europeanization and Cultural Identity: Two Worlds of Eco-Capitalism." Scandinavian Studies 73 (2001): 63-76. Download PDF (1.18 MB)
- Christine Ingebritsen, Robert Geyer, and Jonathon Moses, eds. Globalization, Europeanization, and the End of Scandinavian Social Democracy? London: Macmillan, 2000.
- Christine Ingebritsen. The Nordic States and European Unity. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1998.
Summer 2017 A-term
Summer 2016 A-term
Summer 2016 B-term
Summer 2015 A-term
Summer 2014 A-term
- Christine Ingebritsen: Understanding Scandinavian Small States Helps Us Understand Brexit - July 25, 2016
- Britain leaves the EU: A small state of mind | The Seattle Times - July 22, 2016
- Alum Focus, Alison Johnston: Seattle, Stockholm, London, Corvallis - May 11, 2016
- Göran Rosenberg on A Brief Stop on the Road from Auschwitz - November 13, 2015
- Trgyve Ugland on Migration and Europe - October 30, 2015
- EU Ambassador To the United States Visits the Department of Scandinavian Studies - October 19, 2015
- New Class- SCAND 479/ JSIS A EURO 429 - Eco- Capitalism - June 23, 2015
- Faculty Spotlight - June 23, 2015
- Former Visiting Scholar Publishes Book on Small States - January 13, 2015
- Deadline for UW-Bergen Faculty Exchange on December 15th, 2014 - November 25, 2014
- New Freshman and Sophomore Collegium Seminar Course taught by Professor Ingebritsen - November 18, 2014
- Professor Christine Ingebritsen appears on King 5 News - September 19, 2014
- Faculty Spotlight - September 13, 2014
- New book from Professor Christine Ingebritsen out now! - August 8, 2013
- Former UW Soccer Player invited to play for the FC Jazz in Pori, Finland! - August 8, 2013
- New Class: Peacemaking in Europe - November 16, 2012
- Department Scholar and Soccer Coach featured in University Week - June 4, 2010
- Ingebritsen & Nestingen on Finnish Nobel Winner - December 16, 2008
- Ingebritsen Named Dean of Undergraduate Education - May 26, 2005