Guntis Šmidchens has research interests in Baltic Studies; Baltic Languages and Cultures; Folklore; Russian Folklore; Estonian, Latvian and Lithuanian languages and literatures. He is an Adjunct Associate Professor of Slavic, Executive Board member at the Ellison Center for Russian, East European and Central Asian Studies, and past President of the Association for the Advancement of Baltic Studies (AABS).
- Baltic History
- Baltic Cultures
- The Baltic States and Scandinavia
- Baltic States since 1991
- Introduction to Folklore Studies
- Folk Narrative
- Estonian, Latvian, and Lithuanian Languages
- Guntis Šmidchens, A Chain of Friendship: Reflections on the Baltic Way and Inspiration for Belarus. Foreign Policy Research Institute Baltic Bulletin, 31 August 2020.
- Guntis Šmidchens, Dziesmu vara: Nevardarbīga nacionālā kultūra Baltijas dziesmotajā revolūcijā. Latvian Translation of Power of Song, 2014. Riga, Latvia: Apgāds Mansards, 2017.
- Guntis Šmidchens, "A Heritage of Baltic Song Celebration Songs." Culture Crossroads 9 (2016): 7-19
- Guntis Šmidchens, "Singing Revolution, Past and Present" Foreign Policy Research Institute Baltic Bulletin, 12 October 2016
- Baltimaade üldlaulupidude laulutraditsioonid ja pärand. Mäetagused 63 (2016): 21-34.
- Guntis Šmidchens. Entries on "Riga" (published 2015) "Tallinn," and "Vilnius" (forthcoming) Encyclopedia Britannica.
- Guntis Šmidchens. "Remembering the Baltic Singing Revolution on the National Mall, 1998." Washington DC: Smithsonian Folklife Festival: 2013.
- Guntis Šmidchens. "Latvia, Poetry of." Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics, 4th ed. 2012. 793-795.
- Guntis Šmidchens. "Estonia, Poetry of." Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics, 4th ed. 2012. 459-461.
- Guntis Šmidchens, "Herder and Lithuanian Folksongs," Lituanus 56,1 (2010): http://www.lituanus.org/2010/10_1_05%20Smidchens.html
- "My Motorcycle" 19 poems by Imants Ziedonis. Latvian Literature #7 (2008): 5-38.
- Guntis Šmidchens. "Introduction: Fighting for Liberty in Lithuania." Lionginas Baliukevičius: The Diary of a Partisan. Vilnius: Genocide and Resistance Research Centre of Lithuania, 2008. 11-24.
- Guntis Šmidchens. "National Heroic Narratives in the Baltics as a Source for Non-Violent Political Action." Slavic Review: Interdisciplinary Quarterly of Russian, Eurasian, and East European Studies 66.3 (2007): 484-508.
- Guntis Šmidchens. "Notes on the Latvian National Epic Hero, Lacplesis." Journal of Folklore Research 43.3 (2006): 271-280.
- Guntis Šmidchens. "Baltic Studies Summer Institute." Film. BALSSI Consortium: 2004.
- Guntis Šmidchens. "Symposium on the Baltic in the 21st Century." Film. BALSSI Consortium: 2004.
- Guntis Šmidchens. Translation from Latvian to English, "Latvian Bourdon Songs." Baltic Voices. Harmonia Mundi, Volume 1, HMU 907311: 2003.
- Guntis Šmidchens. "Why Study Baltic Languages?" Newsnet: News of the American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies. 2003. 25-27.
- Guntis Šmidchens. The Power of Song: Nonviolent National Cultures in the Baltic Singing Revolution. University of Washington Press and Museum Tusculanum Press, 2014.
Research Advised: Graduate Masters Theses
- Toomet, Tiina. Female Agency and Violence in Danish and Estonian Folk Ballads. Master's Thesis, Scandinavian Languages and Literature, University of Washington, 2020.
- Roos, Liina-Ly. "Post-Soviet Identity in Nordic Fiction: Trauma of Occupation and Sex Trafficking in Sofi Oksanen's Purge and Lukas Moodysson's Lilya 4-ever." M.A. Thesis. University of Washington, 2014.
Summer 2017 B-term
Summer 2016 A-term
(Autumn 2017): SCAND 543: Folk Narrative
- Sean Eckard of Estonia's Starship Technologies gives presentations to UW Business and Engineering students - February 24, 2020
- Scandinavian Studies Department renews collaboration with National Nordic Museum for Scandinavian 30 lecture series - December 13, 2019
- Baltic Way Anniversary 1989-2019 - August 27, 2019
- Baltic Studies Program 25th Anniversary - June 10, 2019
- What are you excited about doing in 2017-2018? Faculty Activities - October 27, 2017
- People of the North: Creating the Nordic Light Symphony brings Latvian composer to UW - May 17, 2017
- Estonian Independence and Song Festival Celebration - March 19, 2016
- Visiting University Prep Highschool Students - February 17, 2016
- Estonian Choir Performs in Celebration of Veljo Tormis' 85th Birthday - August 13, 2015
- 2014 Baltic Studies St. Martin's Fundraiser - December 2, 2014
- Estonian Artist Turns Ancient Instruments into Heavy Metal - October 16, 2014
- Scandinavian Studies Announcements - September 24, 2014
- Faculty Spotlight - September 13, 2014
- Guntis Šmidchens' New Book Explores "The Singing Revolution" - December 10, 2013
- Guntis Smidchens Knighted by President of Estonia - January 31, 2012
- The Baltic in the 21st Century on UW TV - February 25, 2004