Marianne Stecher-Hansen is professor of Danish and Scandinavian Studies and works in literary and cultural studies. Professor Stecher-Hansen enjoys teaching and publishing on 19th- and 20th century Scandinavian literary figures, materials and texts. Her research engages cultural memory studies, feminism, postcolonial theory and textual studies in relation to the Nordic region, particularly Denmark. Her edited collection Nordic War Stories - World War II as History, Fiction, Media and Memory (2021) is published by Berghahn Books. She has recently authored The Creative Dialectic in Karen Blixen’s Essays – On Gender, Nazi Germany, and Colonial Desire (2014), University of Chicago Press, and the critical commentary for Karen Blixen Værker; Skygger paa Græsset—Essays (2020), published in Denmark. Professor Stecher-Hansen serves as Graduate Program Coordinator for Scandinavian Studies and teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in Scandinavian literature and culture, advanced Danish language and literature as well as courses in the European Studies program.
- Stecher-Hansen, Marianne, ed. Nordic War Stories: World War II as History, Fiction, Media and Memory. New York and Oxford: Berghahn Books, 2021
- Stecher [Stecher-Hansen], Marianne T., "Efterskrift - Erindringsfortællinger og Essayistik," in Blixen, Karen, Skygger paa Græsset & Essays. Edited by Nicolas Reinecke-Wilkendorff. 1. Tekstkritiske og kommenterede udgave ed. Værker / Karen Blixen. Kbh.: Danske Sprog- og Litteraturselskab/Gyldendal, 2020, pp. 515 - 592.
- Stecher [Stecher-Hansen], Marianne. Review of Mads Bunch, Isak Dinesen Reading Søren Kierkegaard. On Christianity, Seduction, Gender, and Repetition. In Danske Studier (2017): 197 - 202.
- Kastbjerg, Kirstine Marie. “Reading the Surface: The Danish Gothic of B.S. Ingemann, H.C. Andersen, Karen Blixen and Beyond.” University of Washington, PhD dissertation, 2014
- Stecher [Stecher-Hansen], Marianne. The Creative Dialectic in Karen Blixen's Essays: Gender, Nazi Germany, and Colonial Desire. Copenhagen: Museum Tusculanum Press/University of Chicago, 2014. pp. 276.
- Marianne Stecher. "Karen Blixen on Feminism and Womanliness - 'En Baaltale med 14 Aaars Fosinkelse'." Scandinavian Studies 82.2 (2011): 191-232.
- Marianne Stecher. "Soldier’s Daughter: Karen Blixen and Nazism – ‘Breve fra et Land i Krig'." Scandinavian Studies 82.1 (2010): 53-95.
- Marianne Stecher. Danish Writers from the Reformation to Decadence. Dictionary of Literary Biography vol. 300. Detroit: Gale Group, 2004.
- Marianne Stecher. Twentieth-Century Danish Writers, Dictionary of Literary Biography. Vol 214. Detroit: Gale Group, 1999.
- Marianne Stecher. History Revisited: Fact and Fiction in Thorkild Hansen's Documentary Works. Camden House: 1997.
Research Advised: Graduate Masters Theses
- Toomet, Tiina. Female Agency and Violence in Danish and Estonian Folk Ballads. Master's Thesis, Scandinavian Languages and Literature, University of Washington, 2020.
- Hughes, Sean. "Danishness and Otherness: Representations of Muslims and Jews in Danish Literature." MA Thesis. University of Washington, 2011.
Research Advised: Graduate Dissertations
- Nielsen, Jan Henrik Krogh. "People's Faces:" Levinasian Ethics in Per Olov Enquist, Villy Sørensen, and Knut Hamsun. PhD Dissertation, University of Washington, 2019.
- Lucas, Melissa. Digital Literary Arts -- Scandinavian E-Texts: Criticism, Theory, and Practice. PhD Dissertation, University of Washington, 2014.
- Mussari, Mark. "Farvens klang:" Color Spaces in Strindberg, Branner, Dinesen and Bjørneboe. PhD Dissertation, Scandinavian Languages and Literature, University of Washington, 1999.
- Prof. Stecher interviewed for Danish POLITIKEN feature article - February 5, 2020
- Scandinavian Studies Department renews collaboration with National Nordic Museum for Scandinavian 30 lecture series - December 13, 2019
- Pedersen Endowed Faculty Fund for Danish is Established - October 22, 2018
- Letter from the Chair - October 17, 2018
- Study Abroad in Scandinavia - October 16, 2018
- HRH Crown Princess Mary of Denmark Visits UW - October 16, 2018
- Marianne Stecher To Deliver Keynote Lecture At H.C. Andersen and Community Conference - November 30, 2017
- What are you excited about doing in 2017-2018? Faculty Activities - October 27, 2017
- Evan Wright Defends Dissertation on Comparative Ecocritical Approaches to Finnish and American Literature - March 22, 2016
- Sweden and the Holocaust in the films of Roy Andersson - February 9, 2016
- Scandinavian Studies at the UW Study Abroad Fair - November 10, 2015
- Trgyve Ugland on Migration and Europe - October 30, 2015
- Marianne Stecher invited Keynote Speaker for AASSC at Congress 2015 for the Humanities and Social Sciences at the University of Ottawa, June 2nd. - June 8, 2015
- New Course: SCAND 462 A- Isak Dinesen (Karen Blixen) & Modern Nordic Women: Public Intellectuals, Pundits, and Writers - March 12, 2015
- DANA (Danish Academic Network in America) Launches its New Website and Membership Drive. - February 3, 2015
- "Four Mariannes" Celebrated Together at the Annual BOGFORUM (Book Fair) in Copenhagen Nov. 8th - November 18, 2014
- Scandinavian Studies Announcements - September 24, 2014
- Faculty Spotlight - September 13, 2014
- POLITIKEN awards a five-heart review to book on Blixen by UW Professor of Scandinavian Studies - September 9, 2014
- Recent Nordic Literature in the News - March 13, 2013
- Nordic Cultural Festival at the Kennedy Center is in the news! - February 20, 2013
- New book on Karen Blixen - February 7, 2013
- Stecher-Hansen Appointed Scan|Design Professor - November 14, 2007
- Fourth International Andersen Conference - August 4, 2005