Marianne Stecher is professor of Danish and Scandinavian Studies and works in literary and cultural studies. Marianne oversees the Danish program at UW and teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in Scandinavian literature and culture as well as courses in the European Studies and GWSS. Her edited collection Nordic War Stories - World War II as History, Fiction, Media and Memory is forthcoming with Berghahn Books (February 2021). Her monograph, The Creative Dialectic in Karen Blixen’s Essays – On Gender, Nazi Germany, and Colonial Desire (2014) received positive attention in the Danish press. Professor Stecher serves as Graduate Program Coordinator for the graduate program in Scandinavian Studies and on various committees and advisory boards, including American Scandinavian Foundation grants and fellowships committee (2011 - 2018); the Gudrun Gytel Scholarship Fund; and MLA: Modern Language Association (CLCS Nordic, executive committee 2015 - 2020).
- A Difficult Death: The Life and Work of Jens Peter Jacobsen by Morten Høi Jensen
- Marianne T. Stecher. The Creative Dialectic in Karen Blixen's Essays: Gender, Nazi Germany, and Colonial Desire. Copenhagen: Museum Tusculanum Press/University of Chicago, 2014. pp. 276.
Kirstine Kastbjerg. Reading the Surface: The Danish Gothic of B.S. Ingemann, H.C. Andersen, and Karen Blixen.
Adviser: Marianne T. Stecher
- Marianne Stecher. "Karen Blixen on Feminism and Womanliness - 'En Baaltale med 14 Aaars Fosinkelse'." Scandinavian Studies 82.2 (2011): 191-232.
- Marianne Stecher. "Soldier’s Daughter: Karen Blixen and Nazism – ‘Breve fra et Land i Krig'." Scandinavian Studies 82.1 (2010): 53-95.
- Marianne Stecher. Danish Writers from the Reformation to Decadence. Dictionary of Literary Biography vol. 300. Detroit: Gale Group, 2004.
- Marianne Stecher. Twentieth-Century Danish Writers, Dictionary of Literary Biography. Vol 214. Detroit: Gale Group, 1999.
- Marianne Stecher. History Revisited: Fact and Fiction in Thorkild Hansen's Documentary Works. Camden House: 1997.
Research Advised: Graduate Dissertations
Research Advised: Graduate Masters Theses
- Prof. Stecher interviewed for Danish POLITIKEN feature article - February 5, 2020
- Scandinavian Studies Department renews collaboration with National Nordic Museum for Scandinavian 30 lecture series - December 13, 2019
- Pedersen Endowed Faculty Fund for Danish is Established - October 22, 2018
- Letter from the Chair - October 17, 2018
- Study Abroad in Scandinavia - October 16, 2018
- HRH Crown Princess Mary of Denmark Visits UW - October 16, 2018
- Marianne Stecher To Deliver Keynote Lecture At H.C. Andersen and Community Conference - November 30, 2017
- What are you excited about doing in 2017-2018? Faculty Activities - October 27, 2017
- Evan Wright Defends Dissertation on Comparative Ecocritical Approaches to Finnish and American Literature - March 22, 2016
- Sweden and the Holocaust in the films of Roy Andersson - February 9, 2016
- Scandinavian Studies at the UW Study Abroad Fair - November 10, 2015
- Trgyve Ugland on Migration and Europe - October 30, 2015
- Marianne Stecher invited Keynote Speaker for AASSC at Congress 2015 for the Humanities and Social Sciences at the University of Ottawa, June 2nd. - June 8, 2015
- New Course: SCAND 462 A- Isak Dinesen (Karen Blixen) & Modern Nordic Women: Public Intellectuals, Pundits, and Writers - March 12, 2015
- DANA (Danish Academic Network in America) Launches its New Website and Membership Drive. - February 3, 2015
- "Four Mariannes" Celebrated Together at the Annual BOGFORUM (Book Fair) in Copenhagen Nov. 8th - November 18, 2014
- Scandinavian Studies Announcements - September 24, 2014
- Faculty Spotlight - September 13, 2014
- POLITIKEN awards a five-heart review to book on Blixen by UW Professor of Scandinavian Studies - September 9, 2014
- Recent Nordic Literature in the News - March 13, 2013
- Nordic Cultural Festival at the Kennedy Center is in the news! - February 20, 2013
- New book on Karen Blixen - February 7, 2013
- Stecher-Hansen Appointed Scan|Design Professor - November 14, 2007
- Fourth International Andersen Conference - August 4, 2005